The City of Kingston has many great resources in place for students to get from Point A to Point B. The heel-toe express only gets you so far, so here are a few options!
Getting around by bus:
Riding the bus is free for all Queen’s University students when you show your student card, as Andrew describes in the video above. It is one of the easiest ways of travelling across campus, downtown, or to the bus and train stations. Bus schedules and maps can found here: The City of Kingston’s Trip Planner.
Getting around by taxi:
Taxi services in Kingston are relatively cheap and easy-to-use. Taxis are often available on campus outside the JDUC building on University Avenue or in front of the Victoria Hall Residence, but if you’re looking to call the taxi to a different location you can contact them below:
- Amey’s Taxi: +1 (613)-546-1111
- Modern Taxi: +1 (613)-546-2222
- City Taxi: +1 (613)-542-3333
Some of these companies also have apps available that you can download on your phone. For example, you can read more about Amey’s app here: www.ameystaxi.com/app.
Getting around by car:
There are a few options for renting a car if you’re looking to drive yourself around town. Cars make shopping for groceries and travelling to new destinations much easier! Here are a few rental car companies to consider:
- Student Car Share: www.studentcarshare.ca
- Avis Car Rental: www.avis.com
- Discount Car and Truck Rentals: www.discountcar.com
- Enterprise Rent a Car: www.enterpriserentacar.ca
Getting outside of the city:
Kingston is conveniently located between major cities such as Montréal and Toronto and there are several places you should visit while you are studying at Queen’s. Here are a few options to travel outside of the city by bus:
- The Tricolour Express sells bus tickets from campus to Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto. This option is only available to Queen’s students, and tickets can be purchased at the Tricolour outlet located in the John Deutsch University Centre (JDUC) with a valid student ID.
- Megabus offers daily bus trips to many cities, including Toronto and Montreal. Tickets can be purchased online with their easy-to-use website.
If you like to travel the scenic route, the train is a great option. Here is an option to travel outside of the city by train:
- Via Rail travels to many locations across Canada. The train station is located in uptown Kingston and is easy to access by taxi or bus. Tickets can be booked online, including a “Plan Your Trip” option for easy planning.